Friday, May 16, 2008

$4 Oil. Go, go, go!



I didn't used to be a cynic. I had a roommate once who said he "hated people," but I couldn't believe it. How could he think that?

Fast forward ten years to the dregs of my late twenties. I have become a grumpy old man. Which brings us to my new favorite sport: rooting for the price of gas to hit $4.

Maybe there's a sort of bandwagon phenomenon here -- if everyone knows that one team is going to win, why not join? A gallon of gas is going to hit $4 whether I like it or not -- might as well root it on.

Now this might not be as funny if Helen and I didn't have too much money, or had long commutes, or two cars. We have one car that we don't drive that often. So while I notice the price of oil -- it used to take $19 to fill 'er up, now it takes $36 -- it doesn't really affect me. It's a pizza. No biggie.

But I love to watch people freak out about the price of oil. Most of those freaking out don't need to worry about anything -- the real people in a crunch are figuring out solutions: drive less, second job, no vacation. That sucks, no doubt.

All I'm saying is, we can dread the future, or we can embrace it. When they talk of Homer and $4 gas, they'll say, "He finally loved Big Brother."

5 comments:

Homer said...

yes!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/16/AR2008051601111.html?hpid=topnews

Steven said...

I can't wait for oil to hit $150 a barrel. Like the maulana, there is a soft spot in my heart for entropy and frustration, and i especially love watching it set in in others. I remember there was a gas station my bougeoise ass would stop at after golf practice in HS and pay 86 cents for a gallon.

Homer said...

Arrrggh -- foiled by diplomacy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/16/AR2008051601111.html?hpid=topnews

Danny said...

you big city-dwelling bastards with your fancy mass transit... we will see who is laughing when the plague hits.

Cleveland Brown said...

Well, as long as we have sacks of shit like this voting on energy policy in this country we can start placing bets on gas hitting $5 a gallon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8nozp7vs8